26 February 2010

Enchantment (Card)

Sleeping beauty in Russia with time travel and the most formidable and despicable witch known to folklore. Wheeee! The words leave my mouth raw, but Orson Scott Card has again produced something clever, original, convincing, and very intelligent. I don't want to like this man, but he delivers. Just remember the standard Card preparations: realize that while he is LDS (was LDS? I don't know anymore) you are still liable to trip over the harsh, the crude, and the sickening; understand that he can make you approve of his characters even when their actions are unlovely or offensive; and prepare to be charmed by hints of whimsy even when they buried under plenty of grit and decay. And, above all, be wary because you're going to enjoy the book to your shame.

Maybe that's enough dancing around my confession. Here it is unadorned: I devoured that book, squirming heedlessly through the nasty bits because I was hooked, and now I feel that Card has gotten the better of me once again. That miscreant. I need to stop seeking him out.

My only consolation is that I didn't buy the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment